I’m always asked, "How do you help people or know if they’re in the right job or career?"
And my answer is always, "It depends." To piggyback on my last blog, I must re-iterate and stress that I don’t have a crystal ball.
However, when I’m helping folks, we walk through a 12 step process that I have developed over the course of my career in Human Resources and Career Coaching to help individuals identify the right job and then build a plan of attack to land it.
Today, I want to share with you, five key indicators that you’re awake and alive at your job.
1. You come home most days energized and happy. When you leave work, you may be exhausted, but in a great way and consistently looking forward to the next day.
2. You can collaborate. You find yourself in an environment that encourages collaboration. Beyond that, collaborating with your team gives you energy.
3. You believe in your organizational mission. You delight in serving the mission of your organization. Whether it’s patients, clients, or customers, who you are serving doesn't matter to you. Either way, it gives you great joy and satisfaction much of the time.
4. You get to use your strengths the majority of the day. Knowing your innate strengths and being able to use them most of the day will maximize your efficiency and productivity. Looking for a way to asses your strengths? The Kolbe is a tool that can help you do this.
5. Your growth is supported. You are regularly applauded and supported for developing in your career and supporting those around you. You’re in a culture of recognition and appreciation. Your employer seems to be invested in your personal career goals as well as the goals set for you by the organization.
I know this is a tall order, but these are the patterns that indicate time and again if someone has job satisfaction.
I’m always delighted to speak with you to hear about your unique situation. Think about your own job. Instead of doing nothing after reading this, come up with two steps you can take next week to make sure your career is keeping you fully awake.
Been wanting to level-up your career and think about your next career move? Looking for an objective perspective on your next career development steps?
Let's chat. You can schedule a call HERE now.